Your Local Experts in Smoke Alarm Installation
After Hours Electrical has fully licensed electricians providing secure smoke alarm installation services. We adhere to all local and national regulations and will keep your home safe. We’re available 24/7, every day of the year, including public holidays. After Hours Electrical charges the same rates at all hours.
Smoke Detector Installation for Your Safety
When it comes to saving your loved ones and your home from a fire, a smoke alarm (or smoke detector) is your main defender. Not only can it help save your property from enormous damage, but can also save lives.
All Australian homes are required by law to have at least one working smoke alarm. In all homes built or renovated since 1997, that smoke alarm must be hardwired to your power. A faulty alarm is likely to put your home and your loved ones at significant risk in the event of a house fire.
After Hours Electrical takes fire safety very seriously. Our technicians take the time and care to guarantee your home complies with strict State and Federal regulations. Our electricians will never compromise on the safety of you and your family.
Make After Hours Electrical your first call for smoke detector installation and fault detection. We will check your wiring and provide high quality smoke alarms which meet all Australian standards.
Do You Need a Smoke Detector Replacement?
Smoke alarm laws around the country require homes to have a minimum of one or more working smoke alarms installed. It’s also required that smoke alarms must be up to date and in working order, with a wired connection to the mains power.
It’s important to consider not only the placement of the smoke alarm itself but also the power source, whether it’s part of an interconnected system and how old the system is. If they are looked after, smoke alarms can last for 10 years, after which they should be replaced.
However, as laws have been updated to improve the safety of homes, you may find that your old, battery-powered smoke alarm just doesn’t cut it anymore. Whether it’s smoke alarms that are faulty, or you want your old system replaced with a newer one for your peace of mind, don’t hesitate to call the experts at After Hours Electrical.
Smoke Alarm Testing Services
Our professional electricians are qualified to test all types of smoke detectors to ensure they comply with standards, and all have up-to-date knowledge of local laws.
Our technicians will check to ensure your smoke alarm system:
- Meets the minimum requirement number of smoke alarms
- Has sufficient coverage of the house
- Uses detectors that are current
- Functions at the required level
- Complies with electrical wiring requirements (if necessary)
Once the electrician has thoroughly inspected your smoke alarm system, you’ll be issued with a Certificate of Compliance, to demonstrate that the work complies with state and national regulations.
Types of Smoke Alarms
Before you have a smoke alarm installed it’s important to know what’s available. You should also seek advice on local regulations and maintenance requirements.
Here are the two main types of smoke detectors for home use:
- Photoelectric alarms – Photoelectric smoke alarms are often the favoured choice for installation in Australian homes. They feature a photocell and a light beam that shines away from the cell, which enables the alarm to detect smoke before it has the opportunity to erupt into flames.
Ionisation smoke detectors – These smoke detectors feature a tiny amount of radioactive material and are capable of “smelling” any particle emissions from a fire. Ionisation smoke alarms are highly adept at detecting flames that form fast and don’t produce a lot in the way of visible smoke. It is recommended that ionisation alarms not be installed near your kitchen or bathroom as they can often sound when you’re cooking when a lot of steam forms.
Australian Smoke Detector Regulations
While most Australian states and territories have similar guidelines, the legislation does differ around the country.
All After Hours Electrical technicians know the correct regulations for the state or territory they’re working in. For your information, here’s a brief outline of regulations in different states and territories:
- ACT: Homes built or renovated since 1997 must have at least one hardwired alarm. Photoelectric preferred.
- NSW: At least one alarm is required per house or floor level. Mains powered and interconnected recommended.
- NT: At least one hardwired photoelectric alarm, or an alarm with a 10-year battery.
- QLD: Mains powered or interconnected photoelectric alarms. A 10-year battery is also acceptable (as of 2017). Current alarms that are less than 10 years old must be replaced when they expire.
- SA: At least one alarm which is mains powered or has a10-year battery. New builds and extensions require interconnected alarms.
- TAS: At least one per home. Hardwired or 10-year battery operated.
- VIC: At least one alarm per home. Photoelectric recommended.
WA: Minimum of one alarm that is hardwired. Battery powered alarms are only allowed when mains power is not possible.
Why Choose After Hours Electrical for Smoke Alarms?
Fire destroys thousands of Australian homes every year and the loss of life would be catastrophic without suitable smoke alarms. When it comes to smoke alarm installation, you want the job done by a qualified professional. A fully qualified electrician from After Hours Electrical will ensure the optimal positioning and legal compliance for your smoke alarm system.
After Hours Electrical is building a reputation for quality workmanship and outstanding customer satisfaction. When you call us you get all the benefits of our experience and professionalism, including:
- Fully qualified and licensed electrical contractors available 24/7, every day of the year
- All our electricians undergo regular training so they’re up to date with the latest technology
- A 12-month warranty on all electrical work, materials and parts installed and supplied by us
- $20 million public liability insurance
- Tracking and dispatch that uses state-of-the-art technology to ensure we are always on time
- A range of interest free** payment options
- We aim to be at your door within 30 minutes* of your call
- No extra charges for after hours work
- Upfront fixed-price quotes
- We charge by the job, not by the hour
Interest Free** Smoke Alarm Service
Smoke alarm installation and maintenance is a matter of home safety and a legal requirement around the country. When you need smoke alarm installation or maintenance, look not further than After Hours Electrical.
We realise that getting this crucial service done doesn’t always happen at a convenient time for your household budget. That’s why After Hours Electrical aims to relieve the financial stress by offering a range of interest free** payment options for eligible customers. Your professional electrician can take you through the simple application process on site and approval usually only takes a few minutes.
You can select a payment plan with one of our providers, Zip or Humm, and you’ll enjoy the flexibility of weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments, depending on your choice of provider. Some plans even accept a $0 deposit, so you pay nothing upfront.
There’s never any need to postpone installing or checking your smoke alarm. We also accept payment by cash, cheque or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express).
For more details on smoke alarms contact After Hours Electrical by phone. Alternatively, you can fill out our online form and one of our friendly customer service staff members will get back to you immediately.